hwclock and time

I have been following the postings about hte inaccuracy of time
brought about by shutting down the machine.

The suggestions were: rem /etc/adjtime, run hwclock
and remove hwclock --adjust line from /etc/initd.hwclock.sh

I have done this, run hwclock to adjust the time and then run
hwclock --hctosys

but everytime I shutdown the machine, the next time I reboot
the time is wrong. I am running slink, and kernel 2.2.10.

I don't remember this problem with ham and earlier kernels.
What is the answer?

Sebastian canagaratna
Department of Chemistry
Ohio Northern University