Re: Want to upgrade distribution

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 08:17:12AM -0800, Eric Hagglund wrote:
> I would like to change the pointers in option 1 of
> dselect so that I am able to access the latest
> availble, stable software for potato. Can anyone tell
> advise what the best url is for this purpose?
>
> I'm looking to upgrade to the latest versions of all
> packages in stable, main, and non-free.

You seem to be a little confused. potato is currently unstable, slink is
stable. Both have sections main, contrib, and non-free (slink also has
non-US, while potato has non-US/main, non-US/contrib, and
non-US/non-free).

In either case, make sure you're using the apt method in dselect option
0. Then put one of these in /etc/apt/sources.list.
  # For stable
  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
  deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
  deb-src ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
  deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

  # For unstable
  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
  deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
  deb-src ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

Read the apt docs for more information.

--
  finger for GPG public key.
  29 Nov 1999 - new email address added to gpg key