tcl7.6-dev & tcl8.0-dev packages

Apologies if this has previously been beaten to death, but I searched
the archives and could find no mention of it.

I've installed the tcl8.0-dev and tcl7.6-dev packages from unstable.
Both of them have stripped shared libraries.  I thought "-dev" packages
were supposed to have symbols so you could link against them!  The net
result is that I can't compile C programs that call functions in the
tcl shared libraries.  There don't seem to be other related packages
for doing development with these versions of Tcl.  What gives?

Segueing into policy, why is it that, for example, libc6-dev installs
shared libraries in a separate subdirectory rather than replacing the
ones in /usr/lib?  Shouldn't the bits be identical, save for the symbol
tables, so the programs that use them won't know the difference?  The
nonstandard location is really inconvenient, and the redundancy doesn't
make sense to me, but I'm probably missing something here.