Re: tcl7.6-dev & tcl8.0-dev packages

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 11:40:25PM -0800, Andrew Evans wrote:
> Apologies if this has previously been beaten to death, but I searched
> the archives and could find no mention of it.
>
> I've installed the tcl8.0-dev and tcl7.6-dev packages from unstable.
> Both of them have stripped shared libraries.  I thought "-dev" packages
> were supposed to have symbols so you could link against them!  The net
> result is that I can't compile C programs that call functions in the
> tcl shared libraries.  There don't seem to be other related packages
> for doing development with these versions of Tcl.  What gives?

I didn't think you could install both of those at the same time. Are you
sure you actually have one of them installed?

Note, that the -dev packages do not provide "symbols" for linking. They
provide the header files for inclusion into C source and the libfoo.so
links for ld to link against. Maybe it would help if you showed us the
errors from your attempts to compile tcl applications.

`     bcollins@debian.org  -  collinbm@djj.state.va.us  -  bmc@visi.net    '