base-passwd broken after most recent update

Just thought I'd do an "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" today but
learned first hand why potato is called unstable. Here is the output
from apt-get:

@phoenix:[/home/ssahmed] apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  kbd libmime-base64-perl libopenldap1 perl-tk
14 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
30 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/3894kB of archives. After unpacking 238kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up base-passwd (3.1.1) ...
Checking if your system passwd, shadow and group files are correct...
Adding group "video" (44)
Would commit 1 changes

It looks like I need to make some changes to your system. Without those
changes some packages might not work correctly. The list of changes are
listed above. For more documentation on the Debian account policies
please read /usr/share/doc/base-passwd/README.

Should I update your system? [Y/n] y
Okay, I am going to make the necessary updates now
Reading passwd from /usr/share/base-passwd/passwd.master
Reading group from /usr/share/base-passwd/group.master
Reading passwd from /etc/passwd
Reading shadow from /etc/shadow
Reading group from /etc/group
Adding group "video" (44)
1 changes have been made, rewriting files
Writing passwd-file to /etc/passwd.upwd-write
Replacing "/etc/passwd" with "/etc/passwd.upwd-write"
Writing shadow-file to /etc/shadow.upwd-write
Replacing "/etc/shadow" with "/etc/shadow.upwd-write"
Writing group-file to /etc/group.upwd-write
/var/lib/dpkg/info/base-passwd.postinst: line 57:  1157 Segmentation fault      update-passwd --verbose
dpkg: error processing base-passwd (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139
 base-passwd
E: Sub-process returned an error code (1)
Exit 100

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this ? If I reboot my system, will I
be able to login if this problem is not fixed right away ?

Any suggestions appreciated.

PS : I checked the archives and the only two related threads that I
found on this subject have no followups :(

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com