Re: none

Ray Woodcock <ray-woodcock@usa.net> writes:
> Greetings.
>
> I am installing slink.  I am at this choice:
>
> Configure Device Driver Modules
>   Select Category
>     Block -- disks and disk-like devices
>
> I am using a PC that runs Win98 on C and will run Linux on D.  I
> have configured and mounted Linux partitions on D using Partition
> Magic 4.0.  The partitions seem to work: an earlier installation
> (aborted partway through for presumably unrelated reasons) allowed
> me to run bash commands.
>
> My question: within the Block choice, do I want to select either of
> these two options, both of which seem possibly related to my PC/IDE
> disks:
>
> paride - .
> xd     - XT hard disk controller

Neither. "paride" is for an IDE adapter connected to the parallel
port, if I remember correctly. And XT is the old pre-IDE adapter used
back in the days when 8086 and 80286 were common and 386's were around
but rare, and expensive (I may be a bit off on my timeline, but it's
OLD technology and VERY rare these days). So, unless you have a really
old system, you won't need them. I do believe the IDE support is built
right into the installation kernel so you won't need to load a module
for it if you are using IDE disks, which is what you're doing with the
menu you're in. It's pretty rare to have to load a block device
module during the installation.

Gary