Re: /etc/profile

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 08:29:12PM -0800, Fish Smith wrote:
> PATH=/sbin
>
> modprobe sound
> insmod uart401
> insmod sb io=0x200 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=-1
> insmod mpu401 io=0x330
> insmod opl3 io=0x388
> insmod v_midi
>
> This is the same script I run as root to configure my
> sound card modules.
> It seems like all the other scripts in /etc/rc.boot
> use #!/bin/sh as the first line, however is this not a
> comment?

#!/bin/sh is *not* a comment, it automagically interpreted that the file
is a Bourne Shell compatible script (as opposed to bash, or whatever).

However, you should put all of that info in [possibly] two places.

/etc/modutils/aliases
	(for options sb io=0x200 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=-1, etc. )

	use 'update-modules' to update (conf.modules or modules.conf)

/etc/modules
	with the name of the modules to load

	If you want autoloading the first line should say 'auto',
	if you want modules always loaded, don't have an 'auto' line
	and just list the names of the modules (sound,etc...).

Depending on Debian version, I think rc.boot is being phased out in
favor of /etc/rcS.d with links to /etc/init.d following the /etc/rcN.d
standard (SYSV ?).

Also, on my system modprobe is a link to insmod (however, it seems to
check how it was called and behaves differently. For instance, modprobe
sound just executes and exits, while insmod sound complains that
sound.o is already loaded). If you have the proper dependencies set-up
and alias sound sb, then probably modprobing sound should load all of
those modules (not sure -- don't have soundblaster).

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |