Re: floppies' .bin

If you want to find out about the boot & base floppies,
install the boot-floppies package that is used to build them.
While it's not intended as a tutorial, it contains the
information you're looking for.

Floppy-split is a utility that comes with boot-floppies that
splits a file across several disks; it writes a header (including
a disk label, so it can tell if you give it the wrong disk) and
then a hunk of data.  The base floppies, when re-assembled without
these headers and ignoring trailing garbage, produce the base2_1.tgz
file that lives alongside them in disks-i386/current, and which
you can place on a hard disk partition to avoid having to muck about
with the base floppies at all, if that is an option at install time.

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 02:01:54AM +0700, Oki DZ wrote

> Laurent PICOULEAU wrote:
> > $ file /cdrom/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/resc1440.bin
> > /cdrom/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/resc1440.bin: x86 boot sector,
> > system SYSLINUX, FAT (12 bit) unlabeled, 2880 sectors
> >
> > So this is fat with syslinux installed. lowmem.bin also
> > drv1440.bin is an msdos floppy too
>
> I have tried to mount it, it wouldn't work. It seems that resc. disk
> contains the kernel dd'ed directly to the floppy.
>
> > $ file /cdrom/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/base14-1.bin
> > /cdrom/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/base14-1.bin: data
> >
> > So this is tar floppy
>
> If you do "head -1 base14-1.bin", you'd get something like:
> "Floppy split 0.1."; I'm not sure what it is, but it seems that it's the
> name of the program that's used for splitting the base2_2.tgz file (yes,
> after booting the resc. disk and having the rest of the floppies copied
> to the disk when doing the installation, the floppies become a file with
> that name; well, something similar to it).
>
> file says "data", but unfortunately, .bin files are not tar files.

[snip]

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au