Re: floppies' .bin

Laurent PICOULEAU wrote:
> $ file /cdrom/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/resc1440.bin
> /cdrom/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/resc1440.bin: x86 boot sector,
> system SYSLINUX, FAT (12 bit) unlabeled, 2880 sectors
>
> So this is fat with syslinux installed. lowmem.bin also
> drv1440.bin is an msdos floppy too

I have tried to mount it, it wouldn't work. It seems that resc. disk
contains the kernel dd'ed directly to the floppy.

> $ file /cdrom/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/base14-1.bin
> /cdrom/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/base14-1.bin: data
>
> So this is tar floppy

If you do "head -1 base14-1.bin", you'd get something like:
"Floppy split 0.1."; I'm not sure what it is, but it seems that it's the
name of the program that's used for splitting the base2_2.tgz file (yes,
after booting the resc. disk and having the rest of the floppies copied
to the disk when doing the installation, the floppies become a file with
that name; well, something similar to it).

file says "data", but unfortunately, .bin files are not tar files.

> You can already for rescue and driver floppies, simply use -t msdos instead
> of -t ext2.

All right, I'll try.

>BTW on floppies, fat is more useful than ext2 (you're more
> worried by space than by speed on a floppy). For base14-[1-7].bin, why
> not using tar directly ???

Well, as I said, tar wouldn't work.

Oki