Re: databases, which one?

Hi Jean-Yves,

So far as I know pretty much all the databases on Linux are client
server using SQL. So that's not quite the same as dbase which has an
integrated dbengine and language running on the client.

Probably the best known dbms' on Linux and MySql and Postgresql. They
each have pros and cons. Postgresql is more free and has transactions,
mysql is faster for reading data. You will need a language to access
them. There are many choices depending on your needs. I use java and
python but perl will access both and they have odbc drivers too (so you
could use dbase on a windows machine as the client).

Regards

Dave