/etc/init.d/network script missing .... help needed please

I just installed a Debian 2.1 stable machine.
Since it has a Token Ring adapter I skipped the "configure the network"
step during installation.
I have recompiled a kernel 2.2.13 and have tr0.
My /etc/init.d is missing the network script ... is there a source from
which I could get it/create it ???
What update-rc.d command should I use to place the right links in the
right runlevels ???

Thank you very much. Bob Alexander

PS I now have an horrible tem. patch : i run the ifconfig and route add
in the netstd_init script .... works but it's not clean