pppconfig and multiple AT commands for modem initialization

Hello,
I'm trying to get my modem to dial more quietly.  I looked up the command
and it seems like ATL0 is what I want.

I've tried various combinations of ATZ and ATL0 like:
"ATZL0", "ATZ,L0", "ATZ\nATL0", "ATZ\n\p\p\p\p\p\pATL0", and more, but
none seems to work.  The modem dials as loudly as ever.

BTW, this is a Diamond Supra Express (internal) and seems to work fine
in all other respects.

What is  the proper way to concatenate two AT commands into one
initialization string?

TIA.
--
David Karlin