Re: Desperately need help on X! Please!

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 10:25:26AM -0500, Tam Than Ma wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here is my problem:
>
> After I configure X.
> I typed "startx", the screen goes blank and then turn white with an "X" mark
> in the middle(for about 2 seconds) and then it gives this only message:
> "wait for X server to shut down".

What does your .xinitrc look like?  Do you have one?

It may not be X that's dying.  It may be your window manager.  If you
don't have an .xinitrc or you don't trust the one you have, try using
one that looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
exec xterm

and let us know what happens.  If the xterm comes up (type exit in
it), then you know that X is OK, but your window manager is failing.

					  -Michael

--
  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu