Re: 2nd Linux installation

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 09:25:12AM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:

> Jean-Yves BARBIER wrote:
> >
> > > One of the things I use the linux box for is an FTP server for my LAN, and I
> > > was wondering if it is okay to share the /home/ftp/pub directory between the 2
> > > distros so that as it gets modified in one distro the modifications will be
> > > updated in the other.  For example if my partitions are:
> > >
> > > hda
> > > /dev/hda1  /boot
> > > /dev/hda2  /
> > > /dev/hda3  /usr
> > > /dev/hda4  swap
> > >
> > > hdb
> > > /dev/hdb1  /boot
> > > /dev/hdb2  /
> > > /dev/hdb3  /usr
> > > /dev/hdb4  swap
> > > /dev/hdb5  /home/ftp/pub  shared between both distros
> > >
> > > will this work?
> >
> > Yes, but why separate /boot, you'd better use a partition for /home
>
> I think it would be safer to share /swap and have two /boot's.
>
> Oki

There's no reason not to have /boot on your root partition, they're both
needed for startup.  (Unless you have just one big partition, no /usr or
/home or /var, and you don't want to go over the first 1024 cylinders,
which is not the case for you).

Performance-wise, you should keep two /swaps, but when you're booting the
distro on hda, use the swap on hdb, and vice-versa.

--
"I already have all the latest software."
     -- Laura Winslow, "Family Matters"

Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@cheerful.com

Advertising Policy: http://DLitzPower.tripod.com/spamoff.htm
GnuPG Public Key:   http://DLitzPower.tripod.com/gpgkey.asc
     Fingerprint:   0535 F7CF FF5F 8547 E5A5 695E 4456 FB6C BC39 A4B0