2nd Linux installation

I'm a relative newbie to linux with a working Red Hat 6.0 system, but I would
like to migrate to Debian.  To do so I would like to install to a second hd,
and keep my Red Hat until I've felt out Debian, but I have a
few questions.

One of the things I use the linux box for is an FTP server for my LAN, and I
was wondering if it is okay to share the /home/ftp/pub directory between the 2
distros so that as it gets modified in one distro the modifications will be
updated in the other.  For example if my partitions are:

hda
/dev/hda1  /boot
/dev/hda2  /
/dev/hda3  /usr
/dev/hda4  swap

hdb
/dev/hdb1  /boot
/dev/hdb2  /
/dev/hdb3  /usr
/dev/hdb4  swap
/dev/hdb5  /home/ftp/pub  shared between both distros

will this work?

I should be able to boot the second distro through the existing lilo file on my
mbr of hda correct?  I need to edit lilo.conf but then what is the rest of the
proceedure for that?

One other question for now.  The second hd is a 15.2 gb Ibm which is
autodetected in the bios, are there any problems with that, or are there boot
parameters I should have in Lilo?