Re: Debian SPARC

Hi,

I just installed Linux on our Ultra-30.  It has no floppy,
and besides the boot floppies for Sparc don't seem to work,
(tried them on another Sparc and also read a lot about problems
with them), so I had to boot it by tftp.  That took a while
to figure out, but once it got going I was at home in the
regular Debian install.

Word of warning - there are problems with the potato XF86
files.  After many hours of cussing the machine, I randomly
decided to downgrade all XF stuff to slink, and it works
fine now.  We have a not-too-common video card (Creator 3D),
so YMMV.

There seems to be a problem mounting Debian/i386 NFS shares.
Our /homes are NFS mounted and the Sparc box complains a lot
about the NFS connection.  I haven't started trying to figure
this one out yet.

For myself, I'm much happier trying to debug Debian/Sparc
problems rather than trying to learn Solaris.

-Steve Stancliff