Re: Freezing a package on Debian installation

*- On 20 Nov, Bart Szyszka wrote about "Freezing a package on Debian installation"
> Hello,
>
> I'm having trouble finding a command that would allow me to
> specify to not allow Debian to upgrade a specific package or
> to install it if it doesn't exist. I thought it might be at apt-get
> -h or dpkg -h, but I didn't find anything there. Debian gets messed
> up on my end before I get a chance to install the packages for
> the man command (why isn't it included in the base installation
> of Debian?!?) so I don't have that yet.

The only interactive way to hold back a package is in dselect with the
'=' key.  You can also edit /var/lib/dpkg/status and change the Status:
line of the package you want to hold back from:

The man-db package is not installed because it is too big to include on
the base system.  This topic has been discussed before on many of the
debian-* lists, check the archives.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.