Re: /dev/console

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 10:54:47AM -0500, Nagilum wrote:
> Hi, thanks for the response.  I have those same lines in my syslog.conf...
> that should work for an XConsole when I'm running X... but what about when
> I'm not running X?  How could I get the normal console device to display
> log messages?
>
> Also, does anyone know why Debian uses a symlink to tty0 while other
> distros use the real console device?  What are the
> advantages/disadvantages?

IIRC this is a 2.0 vs 2.2 thing.  Debian has a symlink because it
ships with a 2.0 kernel whereas (I guess) the others you are comparing
with have a 2.2 kernel.  As you have upgraded your kernel this is
perhaps why you aren't getting log messages.  I am also running a 2.2
kernel on slink.  I recreated my console device by first deleting the
/dev/console symlink and then running '/dev/MAKEDEV console' to create
the new one (makedev automagically does the right thing for your
kernel version IIRC):

$ ll /dev/console
crw--w--w-   1 root     tty        5,   1 Nov 18 18:18 /dev/console

HTH,

Ian.