Re: Cross-compiling on Debian systems?

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 02:38:26PM +0100, Erik Mouw wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:52:42 -0800 (PST), ferret@phonewave.net wrote:
> > > ./xgcc -B./ -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC    -O2 -I./include  -I. -I. \
> > > -I./config  -g0 \
> > >   -finhibit-size-directive -fno-inline-functions -fno-exceptions  \
> > >   -c ./crtstuff.c -DCRT_BEGIN -o crtbegin.o
> > > as: option `-s' is ambiguous
> > > make[1]: *** [crtbegin.o] Error 1
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory `gcc-m68k-linux-2.8.1'
> > > make: *** [build] Error 2
> > >
> > > I get the exact same error if I use dpkg-buildpackage. I don't know enough
> > > about building gcc to know what's wrong. And this is the source package
> > > from ftp.ca.debian.org (us.debian.org not responding to me through lynx
> > > for some reason)
> >
> > Looks like you're using the native binutils instead of cross binutils.
>
> Installing binutils-multiarch and compiling a native gas handles this.
MMmmmm. binutils-multiarch and dpkg-cross are in slink for Sparc, but are
only in potato for i386. Time to compile, most likely.

I'll try this stuff out and then get back to the lists if I have any
further problems.

But let me make sure I have this one right. I need to compile an
i386-binary gas that will compile for sparc?