Re: Cross-compiling on Debian systems?

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 02:38:26PM +0100, Erik Mouw wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:52:42 -0800 (PST), ferret@phonewave.net wrote:
> > ./xgcc -B./ -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC    -O2 -I./include  -I. -I. \
> > -I./config  -g0 \
> >   -finhibit-size-directive -fno-inline-functions -fno-exceptions  \
> >   -c ./crtstuff.c -DCRT_BEGIN -o crtbegin.o
> > as: option `-s' is ambiguous
> > make[1]: *** [crtbegin.o] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `gcc-m68k-linux-2.8.1'
> > make: *** [build] Error 2
> >
> > I get the exact same error if I use dpkg-buildpackage. I don't know enough
> > about building gcc to know what's wrong. And this is the source package
> > from ftp.ca.debian.org (us.debian.org not responding to me through lynx
> > for some reason)
>
> Looks like you're using the native binutils instead of cross binutils.

Installing binutils-multiarch and compiling a native gas handles this.

> > I also found out I need the binutils-m68k-linux package, and that's being
> > downloaded as I type..
>
> You also need libc and kernel header files for the target system. The
> kernel has to be configured for the target system, but that can be done on
> the build host.

Install dpkg-cross and convert the native sparc libc6 and libc6-dev
packages. This will install them into /usr/sparc-linux/{include,lib} for
the cross-compile.

`     bcollins@debian.org  -  collinbm@djj.state.va.us  -  bmc@visi.net    '