Re: How to savely copy a disk?

> > | my harddisk is on the edge (still dma/ irq errors). Is there an easy way
> > | to copy all partitions (Vfat WinNT/ Debian Linux/ Linux Swap) to new one
> > | without reinstalling all things?

In my experience these "dma/irq errors" don't necessarily mean that your
hd is about to die. I had these with some older hard disks and they (the
errors) vanished when i turned off DMA data transfers (there is an option
in the kernel configuration for that, or you could use hdparm).

> ext2 partitions can easyly moved along with tar, and for swap partitions
> it makes no sense to copy them.
>
> vfat/winNT partitions seem to me mor tricky (I've never did that)

I've used cp -a to transfer both ext2 and vfat filesystems without any
problems. I don't know if there are some risks in copying open files,
anyway i played it safe and booted from cdrom before copying.

Hope this helps
Matthias