Re: Scratchy Lines in X now

> The only problem (and a very annoying one) is that there are scratchy
> horizontal lines that appear when I change something (ie scrolling windows
>
> I'm using Potato now, with an SiS 5598 Chipset running an SVGA X server.

I'm certainly no X guru and I'm not familiar with that chipset, but I had
a similiar problem with the LCD display on my laptop (Trident Cyber9397).
Turns out X was trying to find the highest vertical scan rate the vid
card would support (which is a good thing) even though the LCD display
doesn't really have a refresh rate in the same way a CRT does (no electron
gun zapping phosphors, etc.).

I solved the problem by removing all the monitor mode lines in XF86Config
that referred to modes at anything but 60 Hz.  You might try commenting
out the mode line that X11 is choosing and see if one of the other mode
lines (at the same resolution) works better.  You can find out which one
it chose by running X like this: startx 1> /dev/null 2> ~/tmp/xlog
Then look in ~/tmp/xlog.

(Incidentally, the above situation with my laptop causes all GUI install
programs to fail because it correctly identifies the video card, but tries
to run the display at 85 Hz)

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           tel: 907-474-2689 fax: 474-2643
930 Koyukuk Drive, Suite 408C     email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu

PGP key: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/pubkey.asc