Scratchy Lines in X now

Alright, I've got X up and running at a decent resolution, with Xfree86 3.3.5-2 my chipset is supported. The only problem (and a very annoying one) is that there are scratchy horizontal lines that appear when I change something (ie scrolling windows in netscape, resizing windows, moving apps around the screen) and text boxes (Rxvt and Form fields on webpages) being filled in with solid black when I type in them. Any of you X gurus out there ever heard of this problem before, or know of any tips to fix it ?

I'm using Potato now, with an SiS 5598 Chipset running an SVGA X server.

Many Thanks in advance, debiangeek
------
Do you do Linux? :)