TCP (over ppp) problem with kernel 2.2.x

Hi, I have a problem which is driving me crazy: If I use a 2.2.x kernel
(as opposed to 2.0.36), I can't make any network connections (over my
ppp link) that require tcp.  In other works, non-tcp net stuff, like
ping or dns lookup, work fine, but telnets just hang.

My system is actually not a complete potato system (it's originally a
slink system, and I've never done a complete upgrade), but I've upgraded
most base packages to potato.

I tried to use `tcpdump' to figure out what's going on, but I really
don't know how to interpret the results; one obvious difference is
that when using the 2.2.x krnel, tcpdump shows lots of strange options
turned on in the packets, whereas the packets sent by the older kernel
don't.

I recall seeing a mention on debian-user about people having similar
problems to mine; can someone give me a pointer, or recommend where I
can look for a solution?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche