Help with X

I'm having some trouble setting up X on a Debian 2.1 machine. I've run xf86config and answered all the questions correctly, however X insists on coming up in 320x204 resolution, when I specifically told it to use only 1024x768 or 800x600. Here is the output when I start the server...

(--) SVGA: PCI: SiS Unknown Chipset (0x20) rev 104, Memory @ 0xe100000, 0xe1400000, I/O @xe000
(--) SVGA: chipset: generic
(**) SVGA: videoram: 4096k
(--) SVGA: clocks: 25.18

(**) SVGA: 16bpp not supported for this chipset

*** A configured device found, but display modes could not be resolved.***

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I know that my hardware is capable of 16bpp and 1024x768, because i've had it running at that with TurboLinux 4.0.  When using TurboLinux' x configuration tool, my chipset (SiS 5598) was listed, however using xf86config under Debian it wasn't, so I had to use the generic SiS chipset.

Any help would be most appriciated. Thank You.

Cain.
------
Do you do Linux? :)