Re: [Fwd: Debian specific Partition problme]

I'm guessing it's that the boot disks from Debian are from the
kernel 2.0.x series.  It may report different values to fdisk.
Actually, it seems that the debian 2.1 fdisk (kernel 2.0.x) are
reporting physical disk geometry, while the other distros
(probably using kernel 2.2.x series) report translated (lba)
geometry.

Now, the SuSe and RedHat setups may have the same problems, you
just don't know it (yet).  You see, if I install debian, and the
kernel is stored in the first 1024 cylinders, all will be well.
however, if I install lots of stuff, and I put the kernel on the
disk, it may end up past the 1024 cylinder mark.  The same for
SuSe and RedHat.  It just seems that you got lucky when installing
The other two distributions, in that they put the kernel towards
the front of the disk.  If you install a lot of stuff on any
distribution, and you install a new kernel, you run the risk of
the kernel file being stored outside the 1024 cylinder range.
this is true of any distribution, and any kernel version.
It is a limit of LILO.  Once LILO "starts" the kernel, you should
have no problem.  Execpt that LILO can't see the kernel, since
it's so far out on the disk.  You have a chicken-and-egg problem.

In short, the fact that fdisk reports differnent values for drive
geometry, and the fact that LILO can't boot your kernel seem to be
two differnet problems.  The fdisk geometry problem isn't really
a problem though.

As for a solution, you should do this (regardless of distribution):
If installing Linux on a disk larger that 540Mb, you run the risk
of putting the kernel outside the "reach" of LILO.  The best
(IMNSHO) solution is to put a small (20Mb) partition at the
BEGINNING of the disk.  It should be type "Linux Native".  RedHat
and Debian store the kernel in the /boot directory.  The reason
for this is so you can mount the 20Mb partition as /boot.  Your
kernel will always be in boot, so it will always be in the first
few cylinders on the disk.

Hope this helps,

Bryan