Re: Beginners How-To use Debian as a LAN

I don't think there is any question that linux could do what you want and do
it well, but from my beginner's perspective (about 3 months experience with
Linux). I personally would not convert your entire lab in one shot, but work
with a server and desktop computer on the side until you feel comfortable
putting your lab into production. If you do not have anyone with linux
expertise that is available to you, it will be very hard to maintain the
environment that you want, especially when you multiply it over all the PCs
in your lab.

I love linux, but I'm as ignorant as they come. Because of this I have been
implementing on the side, with the intention of migrating when it's up and
running fully (and I have a better understanding on how to maintain it). I
know how frustrating it is to reach a roadblock due to my ignorance, and not
be able find the answers reading man pages and HOWTO's or laboriously
searching the web. Nevertheless, I have managed to set up a working samba
server (file and print serving) as well as a GUI desktop, and I'm working up
the courage to tackle setting up my Compaq Presario 1920 laptop to dual
boot.

But you definitely should not stake a production laboratory on the help that
you plan to get from newsgroups and/or listservs. Because everyone else has
a life, sometimes it's hard to get timely answers. In fact, sometimes it's
hard to get answers at all. There are a variety of reasons for this, most of
which are understandable. Having said that, I need to also say that I have
benefited immensely from listservs such as this one, even though I don't
understand 95% of what is going on.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that linux is pretty much a do-it-yourself OS, and
if you can't do it yourself or purchase support from vendors such as
LinuxCare, don't build your entire lab on it. But I would definitely
recommend diving in the Linux waters. You will find yourself loving the
freedom that it provides you, not only now, but in the future as well.

As far as Linux flavors go, I personally recommend sticking with Debian,
even though Redhat and Caldera may have more user friendly installation
processes. When I did the Redhat install, I suddenly had a PC full of stuff
that I had no idea what to do with. The installation documentation for
Debian was sufficient even for the raw newbie that I was, and I felt like I
understood what was on my PC better.  To be sure, I still don't know half of
what is on my PC, but process of starting with a small base system (what is
it now, 8 floppies?) and adding to it little by little was very helpful.

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck!

Charles Lewis, Director of Administrative Computing
Southwestern Adventist University, Keene, TX
(817)556-4720  lewisc@swau.edu  FAX (360)397-7952