Re: kernel compile and modules

El dom, 14 de nov de 1999, a las 03:58:58 -0800, aphro dijo:

> the only real benefit i can see to compiling sutff as modules is:
>
> 1) if you think you may need to unload it at some point

this is what I actually thought... you can have the kernel compiled with
lots of loadable modules just in case you ever needed them.

> 2) if you need to load something else (i.e. isapnp) before the driver
> loads

should PPP be compiled as a loadable module then?

> if your are going from 2.0 to 2.2 check the changes file in in
> Documentation sub directory of the kernel tree to make sure you got all
> the required updates.  if your running the latest slink(r3) or potato
> though you should have everything already. but it doesnt hurt to double
> check :)

well, I recently made some potato upgrade, and just in case I've
installed modutils from potato, so this shouldn't be a problem, or... ?

El dom, 14 de nov de 1999, a las 08:18:31 -0500, Kevin Heath dijo:

> >[...]
> > # rm -rf /lib/modules/2.0.36/
> > well, if I removed the old modules and had problems with the new kernel,
> > I wouldn't be able to use the old kernel, so this step should probably
> > (definately) be avoided.
>
> Right--as aphro mentioned, you only want to revove these if you
> really need the space.
>
> >[...]
> > # mv /path/to/System.map /boot/System.map-2.2.10
>
> Yep, and after rebooting successfully into the new kernel, you
> might want to:
>
>   # ln -sf /boot/System.map-2.2.10 /boot/System.map

There's no such /boot/System.map, but /boot/map ... I'll give that a
try... or not, no need, I can just tell lilo to use the new map (map=

anyway, I tried to compile a couple of times, and the result was ...
(please, read on further down)

El lun, 15 de nov de 1999, a las 12:07:51 +0100, Onno dijo:

> >well, if I removed the old modules and had problems with the new kernel,
> >I wouldn't be able to use the old kernel, so this step should probably
> >(definately) be avoided.
>
> Just don't do it ;-)
> You don't have a problem when you have another
> kernel version. If you have the same kernel version
> change the 'EXTRAVERSION' in the makefile.

Now, this is what I remembered happened to me the last time I tried to
build a kernel, which has happened again:

in my first attempt I configured lots of loadable modules, but only one
showed: /lib/modules/2.2.10/net/dummy.o

well, then I went on with the rest of the process and rebooted with the
new kernel:  it booted up, but gave me quite a few complains about not
being able to load or find modules (how can I get the bootup messages?);
so, I rebooted again with the old kernel, which also gave me some error
messages about the same!!! why?

On a second try, I configured much less modules, and got more on
/lib/modules/2.2.10, but still get messages about missing modules (eg.
ppp.o, which I did not compile as a loadable module, but built into the
kernel) ... not so many messages as earlier though.

Why does this happen to me?  may be `make modules' or `make
modules_install' are not functioning properly?  but then, why does it
mess with my old kernel?

p.s.  about all the nls modules ... I did compile all of them as loadable
modules (except for CODEPAGE_850, ISO8859_1, and ISO8859_15, which I
chose to build in the kernel, as they are the ones used over here).
ISO8859-15 is supposed to work with the new Euro sign among others, but
I still cannot see it, although I add it to my /etc/kbd/default.map.gz
(control keycode 18 = currency), but that actually gives me a weird
character (¤)  any idea about this?

TIA

--
Horacio					Anno MMDCCLII ad Urbe condita
mailto:homega@ciberia.es