Re: New release over due

On 11/15/99, John Hasler scribbled about "Re: New release over due":
> We are required to build and test our packages for unstable.
>
> However, it is a myth that you must upgrade to unstable before installing
> any packages anything from unstable.

I'm not opposed to running stable --- I'm doing it now.  At some
point I needed an up-to-date TeTeX for the somewhat specialized
typesetting I do.  Now, TeTeX is big.  And complicated.  And has lots
of related packages with versioned interdependencies.  And at that
time, the Slink TeTeX was woefully out of date for my purposes.  I
would have preferred to stay with Slink, but the path of least
resistance was to upgrade to Potato, over a 33.6 modem.  Thankfully I
only pay 5 cents per phone call and a flat monthly rate for internet.

Is Potato's release over due?  It's subjective.  You can run it now,
if you're willing to put up with x, y, and z.  What I'd really like to
see is more frequent incremental releases of Stable, bug/security
fixes and updates only.  Say once each month.  Encourage developers to
maintain Stable versions of their packages as long as possible,
keeping them up-to-date in each incremental release.  When it's not
possible, that's life.  But when it is possible, there's no good
reason for not doing it that I can see.  What's a developer's take on
this?

Thanks,

Jesse

--