Re: New release over due

Matthew Dalton wrote:

> The problem is not that Debian itself is out of date. The problem is
> that you can't get an upgraded Debian on CD. Not everyone wants to
> download hundreds of megabytes over their 33.6kbps connection to upgrade
> their systems to the latest stuff.
>
> It seems that Debian's greatest strength (apt, IMO) is also its greatest
> weakness.
>
> I know quite a few people who would drop RedHat and move to Debian if it
> weren't for the upgrade procedure. They don't want to spend hours
> downloading, they would rather buy the latest RH for a few bucks and
> select the 'upgrade' option in the install program.

Just to say that some people - myself included - do not care too much
about continual upgrades and having the latest version of something just
because it is the latest version. We require a working system which does
what we want and which goes on working. When a stable release is
available, we consider upgrading, even if some see that stable release
as already outdated.
What is outdated anyways? If the system works, does what is required and
you have the latest security updates through the excellent apt-get,
there is no reason to *upgrade*.
I for one stay with Debian because IMHO it is the best - if others
reject Debian because they consider it outdated this IMHO is wrong - it
misses one of the fundamental points about GNU/Linux and the reasons why
Debian is so good (it works better, is stable, is easy to upgrade
package by package etc. etc.)

It's a shame that some GNU/Linux and Debian people get caught up in the
commercial world of competitive and often frantic but mostly unnecessary
upgrades.