Re: apt-get, now what?

*- On 14 Nov, J Horacio MG wrote about "Re: apt-get, now what?"
> El vie, 12 de nov de 1999, a las 09:23:05 -0500, Kevin Heath dijo:
>>
>> > I just tried to upgrade via apt-get, and while it did download the
>> > files, it didn't install them.  A first `apt-get install' attempt gave
>> > me the following:
>> >[...]
>> >   upgraded.
>> > Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they
>> > have unmet dependencies:
>> >   giflib-bin: Depends:giflib3g Depends:giflib3g
>>
>> Try "apt-get update; apt-get --fix-broken upgrade".
>
> El vie, 12 de nov de 1999, a las 07:34:29 -0700, Jason Gunthorpe dijo:
>>
>> > http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/base/libncurses4_4.2-3.4.deb
>> >   Incorrect MD5Sum
>> > ERROR
>>
>> Sounds like you are behind a massively defective proxy server. I suggest
>> erasing everything in /var/cache/apt/archives/partial and switching to
>> ftp.
>
> Well, since I already have all the packages I wanted to upgrade, I
> removed the ones in /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/ and copied the ones
> missing to /var/cache/apt/archives/
>
> Next, I tried to run dselect with mounted fs installation, but that
> doesn't help as it requires Packages.gz from each directory, plus (or so
> I believe) a copy (or partial copy) of the directories (main, contrib,
> non-free...) ... probably meaning that I would have to create those
> directories in /var/cache/apt/archives/ and I'm frightened to mess with
> the dpkg database.
>
> Then, I ran `apt-get install <packages>', hoping that it would be able
> to realize that the requested packages are in /var/cache/apt/archives/,
> but it started downloading again, so I exited apt-get.
>
> Since I already have all the packages, how can I best use apt-get or
> dselect to install them all?
>
> I find dpkg is a nice flexible tool, but I would have to go through
> `dpkg -i <package>' one by one (and for upgrading things such as libc6
> it's a real pain due to interdependencies).

If you know all packages you want, and the depenencies, are downloaded
then you can just use dpkg to install them all at once.

cd /var/cache/apt/archives
dpkg -i *.deb
#iterate this a few times, maybe# dpkg --configure --pending
apt-get clean

But obviously this is just a kludge to get around some other problem
that is occuring.  Unfortunately I don't know the solution to the
problem, =).

--
Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you