Re: apt-get, now what?

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, J Horacio MG wrote:

> [...]
>
> Well, since I already have all the packages I wanted to upgrade, I
> removed the ones in /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/ and copied the ones
> missing to /var/cache/apt/archives/

I can think of no reason, why this should be necessary. apt-get takes for
itselve care of /var/cache/apt/archives. Only to clean it up, e.g. remove
all downloaded debs, apt-get clean is used.

> Next, I tried to run dselect with mounted fs installation, but that
> doesn't help as it requires Packages.gz from each directory, plus (or so
> I believe) a copy (or partial copy) of the directories (main, contrib,
> non-free...) ... probably meaning that I would have to create those
> directories in /var/cache/apt/archives/ and I'm frightened to mess with
> the dpkg database.

Dselect knows about an access methode called 'apt'. The only thing is,
that you need to update the list of available packages after selecting
this methode, since dselect and the plain apt use different databases
about the available packages...

> Then, I ran `apt-get install <packages>', hoping that it would be able
> to realize that the requested packages are in /var/cache/apt/archives/,
> but it started downloading again, so I exited apt-get.

Perhaps since you moved some files manualy from
/var/cache/apt/archives/partial to /var/cache/apt/archives (if I
interpreted the first lines you wrote right).

> Since I already have all the packages, how can I best use apt-get or
> dselect to install them all?

Apt only downloads debian packages, which are missing in
/var/cache/apt/archives/ or the ones, which are newer then the packages in
/var/cache/apt/archives/.

> I find dpkg is a nice flexible tool, but I would have to go through
> `dpkg -i <package>' one by one (and for upgrading things such as libc6
> it's a real pain due to interdependencies).

apt-get should do.

Martin

- --
If Windows is the answer, can we please have the problem back?

For public PGP-key: finger mfluch@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de