Re: stopping x from starting automatically

On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 08:15:38PM +0000, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there some reason xdm and gdm are linked from /etc/rc.2 and
> /etc/rc.3?  I thought only runlevel 5 was supposed to start X by
> default.  I remove these links myself, but it seems like making this
> default would be real easy, and would make Debian that much more
> standard.
>
> If no reason by Monday, I'll file a wishlist bug report in xdm and gdm
> (kdm?).
  There's no rule anywhere that says certain programs can only run under
  certain *multiuser* runlevels (2-5). Customize them to your heart's
  content. As long as you leave 1 link to an /etc/init.d/<prog> in one
  runlevel your changes won't be messed with on upgrades. update-rc.d is
  your friend!
| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |