Re: stopping x from starting automatically

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 08:38:40PM -0700, David Karlin wrote
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 11:37:19PM +0000, John Stevenson wrote:
> > I am not a developer or expert on policy, but as far as I know the intent of xdm is to start
> > linux up X rather than on the terminal.  Now as debians default init level is 2, it seems
>
> Actually, it starts up X *and* the virtual consoles (I think this is what
> you mean by "terminal").
>
> > natural to me to make the appropriate links for xdm in that init level (otherwise it would
> > seem to the uninitiate that xdm was not working).
> >
> > IMHO, if you dont want X to start up on boot, then why do you want to install xdm??  If it
>
> So that you can get an xdm login screen on a remote machine.  I have an X
> server running on a win95 machine and get an xdm login screen to my linux
> server.
>
> I don't need X running on my server unless I'm logged into it.  In fact, it
> saves resources and lets the server run faster if X is not running....

Aah, in that case you need to edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers; at the moment it
probably contains a line like this:
:0 local /usr/bin/X11/X vt7

This line tells XDM that it is responsible for a local X server.  Comment
it out, end then do
/etc/init.d/xdm restart

and you should have what you want: XDM running, but not running your local
display.

> > is not installed, it doesnt make the links....
> >
> > John.

A different John.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au