Re: stopping x from starting automatically

> Hello,
>
> Is there some reason xdm and gdm are linked from /etc/rc.2 and
> /etc/rc.3?  I thought only runlevel 5 was supposed to start X by
> default.  I remove these links myself, but it seems like making this
> default would be real easy, and would make Debian that much more
> standard.

I believe the current state is debian default and you are thinking about RH
default. I am used to debian default and it seems to me the easy and standard
way.
And if I am not mistaken, those links are only created when the X packages are
installed.

Isn't update-rc is the debian way of managing those links ?