RE: What do I REALLY need for Potato upgrade?

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Brian Servis wrote:

> *- On 10 Nov, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote about "RE: What do I REALLY need for Potato upgrade?"
> >
> > On 10-Nov-99 David J. Kanter wrote:
> >> I'm in the process of going from Slink to Potato, but I've got a modem. I'm
> >> not going to download all the updated packages, but what should I get to get
> >> a relatively solid Potato build?
> >>

> > Unfortunately, upgrading to potato is mostly all or nothing.  Lots of changes
> > have occured.
> >

> I just did this last weekend.  You can use the -d option to apt-get so
> that it will not start installing until you are done grabbing all the
> necessary files.  Yes it is slow but the fact that Debian can upgrade
> in place over a modem is reason enough to do it!

I "tried" to do this last weekend also. I used the apt method of dselect
over a V.90 modem and a day and half later I had potato mostly
installed. I agree that the multiple ways of upgrading/maintaining a
Debian distribution are really cool -- I've been using a modem at home
since 1.2.

 I ran into some dependency problems with the 'netstd' and 'rdist'
packages. netstd depends upon the rdist package, which seems not to exist.
The comment on netstd indicates it is a legacy package that should be
removed, but I couldn't do that as there are other packages (e.g. diald --
that I depend on) that depend upon netstd. I tried every permutation that
I could think of to get past configuring netstd (without rdist) but I
couldn't figure out a way to do it. I realize potato is unstable -- I'm
not complaining here at all.

Any hints as to how to get past this problem?

Thanks...