RE: What do I REALLY need for Potato upgrade?

*- On 11 Nov, Stephen A. Witt wrote about "RE: What do I REALLY need for Potato upgrade?"
> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Brian Servis wrote:
>
>> *- On 10 Nov, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote about "RE: What do I REALLY need for Potato upgrade?"

>> > Unfortunately, upgrading to potato is mostly all or nothing.  Lots of changes
>> > have occured.
>> >

>> I just did this last weekend.  You can use the -d option to apt-get so
>> that it will not start installing until you are done grabbing all the
>> necessary files.  Yes it is slow but the fact that Debian can upgrade
>> in place over a modem is reason enough to do it!
>>

> I "tried" to do this last weekend also. I used the apt method of dselect
> over a V.90 modem and a day and half later I had potato mostly
> installed. I agree that the multiple ways of upgrading/maintaining a
> Debian distribution are really cool -- I've been using a modem at home
> since 1.2.

0.93r6 here, =).  Back then it was 14.4 modems.  But the distribution
was *a lot smaller* too.

>  I ran into some dependency problems with the 'netstd' and 'rdist'
> packages. netstd depends upon the rdist package, which seems not to exist.
> The comment on netstd indicates it is a legacy package that should be
> removed, but I couldn't do that as there are other packages (e.g. diald --
> that I depend on) that depend upon netstd. I tried every permutation that
> I could think of to get past configuring netstd (without rdist) but I
> couldn't figure out a way to do it. I realize potato is unstable -- I'm
> not complaining here at all.
>
> Any hints as to how to get past this problem?

Unfortunately, you have to wait for the diald maintainer or some other
maintainer to fix the dependency issue, which has a bug filed(#49324)
against it. The problem is that netstd then sucks in other packages that
you probably don't want.  Just keep track of them and remove them when
the depenency issue has been fixed.

--
Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you