Slow local connections (Slink)

This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Ulrik Buchholtz" <ulrikb@gmx.net>
Be sure to reply to that address.

Hi, I'm experience a very weird networking
problem with my two Debian Slink machines.

They're both installed "Basic", except for
the "server", which has bind, telnetd, proftpd,
samba, apache, and nfs-server installed.

The two machines are connected via bnc-cables,
and there haven't been any problems with the NICs
and the network prior to this (They used to run
windows(tm)).

Pings are going through fine, and nslookups are
snap. httpd is fast too. But when I try to use
telnet,ftp,nfs, or smb, the client-program
stalls. Sometime I do get a telnet connection
throught though - after 3-4 minutes that is. nfs
exits with RPC: timeout

What could possibly be the problem?

Yours faithfully
Ulrik Buchholtz