upgrading libraries

I want to start upgrading hamm --> slink !! Too late ??
hope not

Anyway I dont want to do this all in one round? Any
suggestions? Should I do it step by step or all in
once??
The problem is I'm connecting via modem, so it will take
until Y2K until I get all those new packages.

I know that upgrading those libraries is a major pain,
from previous readings of the user-list. So how do
I decide which library to upgrade, and in what order?

Any suggestions are appreciated, god bless!

Fethi Okyar
Research Assistant
Computational Solid Mechanics
MMAE Department, IIT