Re: Pine

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, John wrote:

> I'm inexperienced with Debian, but had no problem getting Pine from
> this web page. However, I've been unable to install and configure it.
> Pine depends on libc-client4.6 and I can't find it - in another posting
> you indicated it was for the time being under /Incoming, but the only
> deb I found there seems to be an alpha one.
>
> Also, Pine depends on libc6 >=2.1 (my slink has 2.0.7) and libncurses
> 4 >=4.2-3.1 (I only have 4.2-3). Neither of these am I unable to find.
>
> I'm puzzled, because I went to ftp.uk.debian.org and got Pine 3.96,
> thinking I would upgrade later when I located the dependencies,
> and that says I need the same files.

I guess I should have made it clearer but the .debs I made were for potato
not slink.  All the packages you need to fulfill the dependencies can be
found in the unstable branch of the archive.  It's a little tedious
but fairly straightforward to get the source (available from the same
page) and rebuild it yourself if you cannot upgrade to potato at this
time.

3.96 was the last version of pine which was distributed by Debian.  Owing
to licensing problems, later versions cannot be.  Although I am a Debian
developer, the pine 4.20 .debs are unoffical and neither the Debian
Project, The University of Washington nor anyone apart from myself has any
responsibility for them.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>