lprng help

Hi.  I'm trying to us lprng to print to a remote printer,
an HP870, on an nt network.  nt is running the tcp/ip
print services and I can get plain text to print just fine.
However, it seems that the if= is not being used for
other document formats.

The printcap file is this:

hp870|filt-Remote hp870 printer entry
	 :rm=192.168.1.1
         :rp=hp870
	 :if=/etc/magicfilter/dj550c-filter
         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote870
	 :mx#0
         :sh

checkpc shows file permissions are ok.  The docs say this
should work, and it does send everything to the printer,
but without the filtering.

Using Debian2.1, 2.0.36 kernel and magicfilter 1.2-28 and
lprng 3.5.2-1.3.  lpq shows the printer on the nt machine.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
tmollica@silcom.com