Corel Linux

What exactly does it mean if a distribution is "based on" Debian? Would any
packages created for debian work with it? Are new releases "created" when
new rew releases of the Debian kernel are? Etc.

I'm asking because I've been hearing a lot about Corel Linux and it looks
pretty nice... i just recently installed Debian on an old 486 that I got
from work and I love it, and plan on using it a) to get aquainted with linux
and b) for some low-level server stuff, like ip masquerading for a couple
other systems, a small web site, and maybe a small ftp site... But I'm a bit
frustrated by the normal problems one has moving to linux from windows (yeah
I'm a wimp)... lack of GUI-based configuration and management, for one....
corel's release seems to break down some of those walls.... *shrug*

Any answers, kind advice, or constructive criticisms are much appreciated...

--Nick