Re: Sharing apt-gets cache dir

Hello Peter,
I have a shared atp archive working successfully.  I too had the
same problem of not being able to do anything with the lock file
through the NFS share.  So I assumed that I couldnt get around
this easily so avoided the problem by creating a link from the
NFS share back to the local filespace.

An example is always nice, so here goes:

<make neccessary NFS mount, mine is at /nfs/ftp>
cd /var/cache/apt
mv archives old.archives
ln -s /nfs/ftp/apt-cache archives
touch apt-lock
cd archives
ln -s /var/cache/apt/apt-lock lock
cd ..
cp old.archives/*.deb archives

Its a complete cheat, but everything seems to work just fine.
The only thing I havent checked is what happens when I try and
run dselect (or apt) on multiple machines at the same time.
Could be interesting!!!

Hope this helps.
John Stevenson