Re: What 'keeps back' packages from apt-get?

Mark Zimmerman wrote:

> Lately, I've been doing a 'apt-get --simulate dist-upgrade' every day
> to check up on how far I've drifted from the current potato baseline.
> There has been a gradually increasing number of packages that are
> 'kept back'; currently I get:

This should answer your question:

file:/usr/doc/apt/users-guide.html/ch4.html#s4.2.4

It reads:

4.2.4 The Kept Back list

The following packages have been kept back
  compface man-db tetex-base msql libpaper svgalib1
  gs snmp arena lynx xpat2 groff xscreensaver

Whenever the whole system is being upgraded there is the possibility
that new versions of packages cannot be installed because they require
new things or conflict with already installed things. In this case the
package will appear in the Kept Back list. The best way to convince
packages listed there to install is with apt-get install or by using
dselect to resolve their problems.

Remember, when all else fails, read the documentation. I ran into this
earlier tonight. So the first place I looked was in /usr/doc/apt/

Greg "Tower" Starkes (gstarkes@tucows.com)
Webmaster, Linuxberg (http://www.linuxberg.com/)

    "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge."
    				-Neil Peart, Rush, "Show Don't Tell"