What 'keeps back' packages from apt-get?

Lately, I've been doing a 'apt-get --simulate dist-upgrade' every day
to check up on how far I've drifted from the current potato baseline.
There has been a gradually increasing number of packages that are
'kept back'; currently I get:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  lesstif-bin mutt netatalk
67 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

Is this normal? I don't have any packages deliberately put on hold in
dselect. I am wondering if these packages are flagged as held back at
the server or if there is some dependency problem on my end. If it is
on my end, how can I find out exactly what the problems are?

-- Mark Zimmerman