Re: Problems with rlogin!!!

John Sanabria (jo-sanab@uniandes.edu.co) wrote:

> Somebody know how can i let that others machines can get into my
> machine using rsh.
>
> I put .rhosts in my home user, but always request me for my password.

You have to put the *right form* of the hostname in the .rhosts file.
The easiest way to learn what the right form is, is to telnet from the
source box into the destination box and then use "who" to see what the
destination box thinks the source box is named.

E.g., I can rsh from "jekyll.local" to "dwarf.local".  My ~/.rhosts
file has this line:

  jekyll.local greg

If you aren't using fully qualified hostnames in your /etc/hosts files,
you're in for a world of hurt.

  127.0.0.1               localhost
  192.168.2.2             jekyll.local    jekyll hyde.local hyde
  192.168.2.1             dwarf.local     dwarf phoenix.local phoenix
  192.168.2.3             fishy.local     fishy

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@kellnet.com             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers,