Two questions

I have two questions:

(1) In what file does the Debian distribution keeps info such as IP
address, netmask, gate       way, etc? I tried to change the IP address
of my machine by editing the
    /etc/init.d/network file; however, this file doesn't seems to be
read at startup time
    because everytime I reboot the machine the interface and routing
table is configured
    with the old IP address and old gate way repectively. What file
should I modify to make
    the changes "permanent" ? Also, my /etc/resolv.conf file keeps on
getting over written       whenever I reboot the machine. Where is the
system getting the information to over write     the file?

(2) I tried to configure my machine's localtime by linking
/etc/localtime to
    /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST; however the time associated with EST is 4
hours behind. Could
    someone tell me how I can fix this?

Thanks for any help in resolving these problems.

Carlton