xterm / eterm / perl debug / readline / termcap / ...

Greetings,

I'm now fed up with the apparent inability to use such excitements as
readline in the perl debugger in eterms or xterms on a potato install.
I'm ashamed to admit it works fine on an old RH5.2 installation.

The symptom:

In Xterm or Eterm, using the perl debugger, keys such as Tab are
interpreted literally, the backspace as ^H, etc.  I have to use Ctrl-H
for backspace, et al.

I would blame stty, but basic readline in bash works fine.
I would blame perl readline, but it's fine in RH5.2 .
I would blame perl debug, but similar things occur in xemacs -nw, and
vi.

I did try the archives, but nothing obvious.

Please could somebody tell me how they got perl readline working in an
xterm or similar?  It's driving me scatty.

Mx.