RE: xserver-3dlabs - libc6 (slink vs. potatoe)?

Have you tried the X packages from <http://www.netgod.net/x/>?  If I
remember correctly, they're compiled specifically for slink...

If that doesn't help, you should be able to snarf the precompiled 3.3.3.5
server directly from the XFree86 site, and use it with the slink version of
X (I've had to do that in the past, and I have the same video card that you
do).  They should co-exist without causing any trouble.