Re: BUG

raymond ferrari wrote:

> I am utterly disappointed. After two weeks of dealing with installing
> debian and trying to learn, my Linux machine has crashed or should I say
> frozen. YES.
> While trying to read the Debian online help for ethernet 3com cards , my
> machine suddenly froze without any ability to get out. This is the
> second time today after losing 0.6% non contiguous. This also seemed to
> affect my win95 which has been working great under Linux control. Hasn't
> crashed once, or further, would actually shut down properly. How about
> that. There is obviously a bug in this part of debian. Someone should
> look at it. Or is there a patch for this. The Debian/GNU Linux distro..
> I got at the Linux World Expo in San Jose in August, '99. Hopefully,
> some day soon I can actually on the net, get my mail, have sound and
> video, but for now, I'm stuck with my ass up to books, papers, and this
> windows machine that let's me communicate with you gods of Linux who can
> help the pitiful. Please help? I still net to get the information for
> the 3com ethernet card. Where do you guys suggest. Thanks.
> Ray Ferrari

Twice in one day really makes me suspect a hardware problem.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "win95...has been
working great under Linux control". Unless you're running VMWARE
or a similar app, Windows doesn't run under Linux's control (LILO
may control the decision of what OS to boot, but once the
decision is made one OS doesn't have any control over the other).

The problems you've had getting X running, and now your 3com
card, make me suspect that your original install didn't go as
smoothly as it should have (for whatever reason). Although this
next idea is a child of the Windows mentality, you might want to
redo the install from the beginning. A more experienced person
would fix the problem rather than reinstall, but a newbie from
the Microsoft world might find a reinstall both educational and
helpful. Of course, if the reinstall goes as roughly as the first
install, you'll have lost ground because you'll have to refight
the war to get X working.

Assuming you want to continue fixing rather than doing a
reinstall, let us know what 3com card you have; maybe someone on
the list can help you out.

What I'd suggest, if you have the resources, is to continue
fighting this machine (rather than doing the MS-mindset
reinstall), and to find 3 or 4 other boxen to install Debian on,
just so you can get the experience. Of course, finding several
machines to tinker with may not be an option.